Train travel is one of the most cheapest and convenient modes of transportation in India and booking a Tatkal ticket is most of the time a challenging task. The IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation) has provided travellers with a convenient way of purchasing tickets via their website. Tatkal tickets are usually reserved for people with last minute travel emergencies but there are various issues that travellers come across when purchasing the tickets.
Here is a faster approach of buying a Tatkal ticket online.
- Remember that the Tatkal online booking window opens one day in advance of your journey between 10 am and 12 pm. Therefore try to login at least 15 minutes before the time slot.
- A person is allowed only 2 Tatkal tickets on a single user ID and if you require more than 2 you will need more IRCTC user ID’s.
- Try to log in using multiple ID’s on a number of web browsers such as Chrome, Opera, Mozilla etc. Ask a friend to help if you cannot handle it alone.
- Make sure that the IRCTC browser time and your times are in sync and you can check this beforehand through the time schedule.
- Once you log in, remember to keep the session active at all times. This can avoid the error syntax “Session Expired” which usually causes delays and the difficulty of buying a ticket. To keep the session live and kicking, make sure that the screen doesn’t go to an idle mode for more than 3 minutes. This happens when you are busy looking for details.
- Details that you will require include Credit/Debit Card details and valid ID proof such as your driving licence, passport, voter card etc.
- After the successful logging into the IRCTC website, choose you starting point and destination.
- When the lists of trains appear, you can immediately choose the train and ticket type – sleeper, 2-tier AC, 3-tier AC etc.
- Enter the required details and the identity proof.
- Once you are done with making the payment, wait till you are directed to the IRCTC page.
- An important fact that you should know is that during Tatkal booking, the IRCTC website runs extremely slow. Therefore always make sure that you do not double click on anything. Do not hit backspace since it will log you off the site which will result in restarting the entire procedure.
One more alternative is the Autofill Tool which can be used on Chrome and Firefox. Using this extension you can visit the IRCTC website about half an hour before the bookings go live.
A) Visit the usual Tatkal ticket booking page and fill in the required details.
B) Follow the normal booking procedure till you reach the payment options and stop.
C) The Autofill extension will make sure that your browser remembers these details so that you need not spend time filling in the details while booking the ticket.
Author’s Bio : Teresa Kent is a part time writer of many genres. She is a traveller who likes to get her own experiences and write articles. Currently she writes about Flights from London to Bangkok and IRCTC.